Monday, November 27, 2017

Compare and Contrast

The commune I chose to compare Synanon to is the oldest hippie commune The Farm. The Farm isn't totally hippie, but still hippyish. This commune has been around since 1971, and is currently the home to 200 people living on nearly 8 square miles of forested highland in Tennessee. The Farm is all  about community and they center there lives around the community. In their community weapons are not allowed, they do not believe in violence. Most of the people in the community are vegetarians, and they do not keep livestock, fish, or fowl in the community because they are against slaughtering animals. The Farm used to not believe in having personal profit, but all sharing money within the community. This has changed over the years after they fell into a 400,000 dollar debt. Currently, people support themselves and their families. They do this by working within the community for homegrown cottage industries. Other jobs are working in the nearby towns outside the community, or working as independent contractors. All members are required to finically contribute a certain amount every month to upkeep the community. The community operates like a small town, therefore all problems or important questions are discussed at community meetings. Not everyone always agrees at these meetings. but they generally come to an agreement before finalizing a decision. This commune is  fulfilling the needs of the people because I believe that everyone apart of The Farm commune likes the living of the community, as well as shares the beliefs of the community. In terms of religion, they liken to think of themselves as "free thinkers" because the discuss religion and philosophy in terms that do not exclude any possibilities. The members of The Farm have different religious traditions and each of those traditions and beliefs are honored and accepted. I think this is very important when it comes to religious groups because they don't make it so everyone in the community has to believe in the same religion or practice the same beliefs, everyone is accepted.

This commune isn't very similar to Synanon. They are definitely two different types of people, the members of Synanon were mostly there for rehabilitation, where as drugs did not seem to be much of an issue for Farm members. The beliefs and practices are also different. The Farms members are really reliant on the Earth for their work and living. The Farm as a community I think had a bit more freedom, in terms of their beliefs and how they went about their day. Synanon's community I feel was a bit more strict in terms of following the practices and having to go through what was known as "The Game". Synanon members also got caught up in money situations more, and I think they cared more about trying to make money. The Farm, of course was worried about money as well, but more so that they weren't doing to much to where is was hurting the forrest or land. The Farm is a commune that is still around today in Tennessee and has survived and lasted many years following their beliefs and traditions. Where as Synanon is not still around and fell out. Synanon members also did not receive the best media attention, they were more known as violent members even though everything in the media was not true. I did not find any information regarding violence when reading about The Farm.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog post. I Thought you did a really good job explaining The Farm and the kind of life they lived. I agree that they are very different from Synanon. What stood out to me most was that The Farm members were really reliant on the Earth for their living in the sense that they were really big on natural reasources which is very hippy-like. Whereas Synanon did not really thing of the environemnt when they were making their money. There focus was making money and making money only. Overrall, I think this blog was very informative and great for a compare and contrast blog. The Farm is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be more comfortable living in the Farm than Synanon! Synanon does not seem like they value anything but themselves and money. On the other hand, the Farm values the community more than anything else. It was interesting to read that the Farm has evolved throughout their reign as they have faced bankruptcy, but still came out on top. I would like to know more about Synanon though. I was wondering what exactly "the game" was and also, what made this commune fall apart.

    ReplyDelete